Friday, September 26, 2014

Friday Scary Story, September 26


Do you listen to your gut?

If it says run?  Do you run?

Sometimes I don't.



After work, I waited by the elevator.

It is the sixth floor.

From the corner of my eye, I see a dark object.  It glides over unnaturally, as if floating.

It is a man.

He is extremely thin, and tall.  He is so hunched over that he looks like a candy cane.

It is 100 degrees outside, and it is odd that he is heavily cloaked in black, and is wearing a wide brimmed black felt hat.

My intuition warnings are loud.  I feel very strongly that I should not get on the elevator with him.

I ignore my gut, and tell myself nothing will happen.

I get on.  My gut still hurts.

As we slowly hit floor four, he unkinks his body and stands straight and tall.  Directly facing me.  He stares me right in the eyes, and says, "I could get off on the fourth floor and jump off the building."

I do not move.  I do not respond.  I do not want to imprint on this man's mind, or being.

The elevator stops at floor three.  A woman get on and stands between us.  As she steps in, he shrinks back into his candy cane shape, hunched over and pathetic.

What would you do?


2 comments:

Jaime said...

The elevator reaches the fourth floor and the man quietly glides out. I know I shouldn't, but I follow him.
My curiosity is too strong. I hover back as he walks down the hallway. He stops at a window and looks out. My heart pounds and I debate whether or not to say something.
He continues down the hallway. I let out a sigh of relief. I laugh at myself. This whole scene is crazy, I tell myself. Obviously my imagination is running wild.
I'm shaking my head and smiling when I look up and stop in my tracks. The man is standing tall, staring right into me.
Suddenly he reaches out and grabs me by the shirt and pulls me as he leaps out the window.

Linda Scarlett said...

SICK! That is fantastic! I love what you wrote. I was not expecting your ending. Great writing!